The beautiful Gutulisetra is located by Lake Gutulisjøen. The mountain holding comprises three pastures – Nedpåvollen, Oppåvollen and Lillebovollen. The sun-weathered timber buildings on the slope down to the lake look idyllic, but life on the summer farm was not always so easy. It was hard work, with meadow hay-making, milking and making dairy products.
In the past, hay-making and grazing kept the landscape open, promoting a herb-rich flora. Even today, the buildings are surrounded by flowering meadows, with species such as harebell, oxeye daisy, alpine bistort and moonwort.
At one time, the bells of mountain cattle and women’s herding calls sounded on the lakeside slopes. From the mid-1750s, farmers from Lillebo and Sorken by Lake Femunden brought their livestock here every summer to graze.
Mountain farming was carried out until 1949. After that, the old buildings fell into disrepair until the Norwegian Ministry of the Environment employed people skilled in traditional craftsmanship to restore the 13 log cabins between 1975 and 1983. Several of the buildings were in such bad repair that they had to be dismantled and completely rebuilt.
The mountain holding is staffed during a few weeks in the summer, and you can usually get a cup of coffee and homemade waffles. There is also a rest hut which is always open.
The restoration of Gutulisetra...
... was a collaboration between the Norwegian Ministry of the Environment, Norsk skogsmuseum, Statens skoger and the curators in Trysil and Engerdal municipalities.